School Admissions Update

Screen Shot 2014-04-29 at 22.41.45So the deadline looms for responses to offers for the primary school places for September.  As you know from the previous post Mouse was not offered a place in the same school as Monkey (our top choice), or a place in the next two choices we put down.

We have thought long and hard (very hard, so hard it hurt) about what to do. The school she was offered was not appropriate for so many reasons. It would have been detrimental in so many ways.

We have appealed the decision to not give her a place in the school that we wanted and have asked to stay on the waiting list. We are realistic and know that the appeal is going to be tough and that actually there is a real good chance it won’t change anything.

We have also put in late applications to two other schools, but we don’t know if they have the space and still getting the children to school on time would be challenging!

We were advised by more than one person (professional folks and friends) to accept the place at the school she was offered as a back up, to ensure she had somewhere.

We didn’t, we have formally declined the place.

We have thought about the ifs and the buts, we have lost sleep over it, cried over it and discussed it….alot.

But, even after all the ifs; if the appeal doesn’t work, if other schools don’t have space, if the waiting list doesn’t get any smaller, even after all the ifs, we wouldn’t feel that she could go to the school offered. We know that some would think we are daft, some will think we are bad parents, but our priority is Mouse, her emotional well-being, her education, her health and her safety.

We are aware that this could mean come September Mouse doesn’t have a place in any school, scary but realistic.

So from here on in, it is a lot of holding our breath, a lot of hope and probably a few more sleepiness nights, but we know we have made the right decision!


Skip to comment form

  1. Fingers crossed for you! Hope you get it sort out asap!

    1. Thank you, appreciate that!

  2. Respect, you know what it right for your little one. IT will all come good in the end, Mich x

    1. Thank you, we just have to keep faith that everything will work out in the end.

  3. I’m keeping my fingers so tightly crossed for you all, and especially your lovely Mouse xx

    1. Thank you, it is so lovely to have so many awesome people behind us xx

  4. I think you have done the right thing declining. If you are not happy with her going to that school she shouldn’t go. I am keeping everything crossed for you that she gets offered a place at a much more suitable school. It upsets me to think anyone should have to go through this. Sending your child to school is a stressful and emotional enough time as it is!

    1. Thank you, one of the toughest decisions we have ever made. xx

  5. You sound very sure of your decision so I think you’re making the right one. Fingers crossed for you

    1. Thank you, we really hope so xx

  6. I feel so bad for you Kelly, I can’t imagine what you guys are going through with this. You have to fight for Mouse, that’s the only thing a good parent can do xx

    1. Thank you, we plan to fight all the way! xx

  7. I completely agree with your decision.
    A couple of years ago, my brother and his wife were in the same position; they had applied to a couple of schools but were declined and offered a place in a different school. They felt that school was not appropriate for their daughter, so my sister in law very bravely said “fine, she will stay home and I will home school her until you find her a space in one of the schools we applied to.”
    My niece was home schooled for the first term, and quickly settled into her new school when she started after Christmas.

    Thanks for linking up with #WeekendBlogHop!

    1. Thank you, I appreciate the comment, we have discussed home schooling as an option!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

%d bloggers like this: