Without a School Place

Screen Shot 2014-07-02 at 23.17.12

The October half term has been and gone, I really didn’t think I would be writing another post on this, I thought by now it would have changed and I would have written a ‘Hip Hip Hooray’ post about it instead.

But here we are heading into mid November and Mouse is still not in school.

Yes, it is getting frustrating now, but even more so it is upsetting; we are still on the waiting list and there has been movement but unfortunately in the wrong direction. You see every time someone makes a late application (through moving into the area, wanting to leave elsewhere or just having not applied before) then the whole waiting list is shuffle depending on their ‘points’, this has happened once to us and although only one place it did knock us down.

This in turn means that if a place does come up, we wont get it, even though we have been on the waiting list so long!

As with all children Mouse doesn’t legally have to be in school until she is 5 (which is in March) and currently she is still going to her pre-school along with another girl in the same situation.  She is getting on really well and apart from the school environment isn’t missing out. Educationally she is where she should be for her age and is developing in all areas of learning, the pre-school are fantastic with her and are doing reception level work with her which they have got from the school we are waiting for!

But it is getting scary, as the weeks fly by you wonder if you have done the right thing, you wonder if you need to be looking at their options, you wonder why it feels unfair.

Screen Shot 2014-04-29 at 22.41.45I worry whether it will make it harder when she does go to school, will she cope with being the ‘new girl’, i worry that we will have to pull Monkey out of school to try and get them in somewhere together because we can’t practically get them to different schools on time and I worry that all the waiting, appealing, meetings and stress so far may have not been worth it.

We get to a point where we think, thats it has been going on, lets look at other schools. But we really don’t want to, Monkey has settled so well this year – something he didn’t do last year, he has friendships that I don’t want to take him away from and in our hearts we still feel that is the school that Mouse should be at. We get to the end of our tether with it and then someone will say something encouraging, our hope will be restored. So for now we will keep on waiting, of course we will never be far from the thought of ‘when do we look at other options’ but now is not quite the time.

What would you do? Ever experienced being without a school place?


Skip to comment form

    • Denise on November 6, 2014 at 20:47
    • Reply

    stick out for what you think is best xxxxxxxxxxxxx

    • Mummy of Two on November 7, 2014 at 07:52
    • Reply

    It is such a rubbish position to be in and I really hope it is resolved soon. All I will say is, if you do decide to change schools for Monkey, in my experience, having moved E schools this year, kids are more resilient than you think! He has settled in really well at school and moving was the best thing we could have done. I really hope things get sorted soon and you can get on with school life the way it should be.

    • spicers1976 on November 11, 2014 at 16:08
    • Reply

    I hope you find an answer before March comes around, or I guess that will be after the Easter holidays being the term after she’s 5?

    • Pippa Ainsworth on November 25, 2014 at 14:07
    • Reply

    Just spotted this post Kel. My heart aches for Mouse, it feels so unfair that she is being denied the opportunity to enjoy her reception year in this way and that people can queue jump is doubly unfair! Fingers crossed for the right outcome, very soon!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

%d bloggers like this: