So the deadline looms for responses to offers for the primary school places for September. As you know from the previous post Mouse was not offered a place in the same school as Monkey (our top choice), or a place in the next two choices we put down.
We have thought long and hard (very hard, so hard it hurt) about what to do. The school she was offered was not appropriate for so many reasons. It would have been detrimental in so many ways.
We have appealed the decision to not give her a place in the school that we wanted and have asked to stay on the waiting list. We are realistic and know that the appeal is going to be tough and that actually there is a real good chance it won’t change anything.
We have also put in late applications to two other schools, but we don’t know if they have the space and still getting the children to school on time would be challenging!
We were advised by more than one person (professional folks and friends) to accept the place at the school she was offered as a back up, to ensure she had somewhere.
We didn’t, we have formally declined the place.
We have thought about the ifs and the buts, we have lost sleep over it, cried over it and discussed it….alot.
But, even after all the ifs; if the appeal doesn’t work, if other schools don’t have space, if the waiting list doesn’t get any smaller, even after all the ifs, we wouldn’t feel that she could go to the school offered. We know that some would think we are daft, some will think we are bad parents, but our priority is Mouse, her emotional well-being, her education, her health and her safety.
We are aware that this could mean come September Mouse doesn’t have a place in any school, scary but realistic.
So from here on in, it is a lot of holding our breath, a lot of hope and probably a few more sleepiness nights, but we know we have made the right decision!